Tuesday, April 9, 2019

Studying Nature in our very own Backyard!

We felt so lucky to not have any rain today on our trip to Voiter's Flats. We had a great time with our guide, Lisa who deepened our knowledge around how temperature affects movement. It was gerat to learn so much in a place right in the heart of our city!
Here's some things we learned today:
1. "I learned that frogs have supernatural powers. They have antifreeze type blood which allows them to survive under the ice for a long time in the Winter." Miss. Moore
2. "I learned that a beaver's predators are coyotes and big birds." S.C.
3. "Today I learned about the updraft that keeps flying. Without the updraft the birds would fall." M.S.
4. "I learned that snakes cuddle up in the winter to stay warm in dens." D.T.

Here's an ant hill we discovered today on our hike! We enjoyed watching the ants move.



5. "I learned that female ducks camouflage into their nest." O.S.
6. "I learned the ducks have webbed feet so they can peddle in the water so they won't sink in the water. Their feathers are light which helps them to float." J.H.
7. "I learned that beavers can breathe under water for 15 minutes because they have lips behind their two front teeth." S.M
8. "I learned that woodpeckers make holes and leave it for other animals." O.F.
9."Today I learned that groundhogs get really fat to hibernate." M.S.

Reminders:
1. Please bring flashlights for the Spring Gala. We are practicing with them in Music now.
2. If you have a plastic of stuffed animal of a bear, polar bear or 'coyote' (dog type animal), could we please borrow it to help us build our devices? Thanks!

Week 13 Learning Plan Overview

Wow-Week 13! Who would've thought that our online learning would've lasted this long? I know it's gone by very quickly, and it&#...